Bee Sting Cake
Makes 2 - 9 inch square cakes (24 servings)
2 (.25 ounce) packages active
1/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup sliced almonds
2 cups vanilla pudding
1. Combine the yeast, and the warm water; set aside to proof for 5 minutes.
2. Cream 3/4 cup butter and sugar until light. Beat in the eggs and yolks one at a time. Add the vanilla, milk, sour cream, and yeast. Beat until smooth. Add the flour a little at a time to form a soft dough. Add all of the flour, and continue to beat until elastic, about 8 minutes. Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and place in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 50 minutes. Can be placed in the refrigerator overnight instead.
3. Beat down the dough, and divide into two pieces. Place each in a buttered 9 inch square pan. Brush the top of each with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. Cover and let rise until doubled.
4. For the glaze, place the brown sugar, 6 tablespoons butter, cream, and honey in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat; add the lemon juice and almonds. Let cool slightly. Drizzle the warm glaze, not hot, over each of the cakes.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until the nuts are golden. Cool on a rack.
6. Split the cakes lengthwise using a serrated knife, and fill with the pastry cream. Sandwich cakes back together and serve.